Thursday 26 June 2014

Dean's garden blog...


Dean's message                               

Hi, Dean here, I am going to tell you a bit about my garden and what I have planted and harvested. I have 4 types of vegetables in my garden. Beans, carrots, spring onions and rocket and don’t ask me about my rocket but tell you later. 

I’m going to plant new plants, when my soil is ready, I’m going to plant cauliflower, lettuce, tomatoes and radishes. My garden used to be my family’s herb garden but I have turned it in to a vegetable garden. The best thing about my garden is that it gets full sunlight all day and it’s fun to garden in. Now for my rocket, also known as “my weeds”. I planted it a long ago, now it is HUGE so I cut some down and made rocket pesto and the rest I’m going to give to the soup kitchen. I am having so much fun gardening. I can’t wait to have a carrot from my garden.

 

What to do with rocket

Make a rocket pesto. Here is a recipe for rocket pesto pasta.

·         30g chopped walnuts

·         3 cloves garlic, minced

·         30g coarsely chopped rocket, stems included

·         handful coarsely chopped fresh basil

·         1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil

·         30g grated Parmesan cheese

·         salt to taste

·         1 pinch cayenne pepper

·         250g spaghetti



Directions

Preparation:25min  ›  Ready in:25min 

1.      Combine the walnuts, garlic, rocket and basil in a food processor or blender. Process just until they are coarsely chopped. While the machine is running, add the olive oil in a thin stream. Transfer the pesto to a bowl. At this point the pesto can be frozen. Thaw before proceeding.

2.      Stir the Parmesan cheese, salt and cayenne into the pesto.

3.      Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain the pasta, return it to the empty pot and toss it with the pesto, adding a tablespoon or two of water if necessary to distribute the pesto evenly.

4.      Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl or to individual plates, garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and serve.

My garden helpers...




2 comments: